Black Magic Woman
Inspired By Santana
Hello Good People – David Taub here from Next Level Guitar. Tim and I are really stoked to bring our unique teaching techniques to you in Full Screen DVD format. We break down popular songs and make them simple and fun. With a little practice you can be playing the hits you love just like on the radio. Amaze your family and friends, join a band, have fun, and ROCK ON!
In this two-hour DVD I break down and explain in our easy to digest format the all time classic BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. This is the full on song lesson and when we say “full song lesson” we mean it. We teach ALL the song parts – intro, chords, verses, rhythms, outro, strums & strum patterns, embellishments, full guitar solos, electric piano licks, and more. You learn the techniques as well as the song, so then you can blast them all across all your playing and practicing. Plus we teach you all the tricks and tips on how to cop the feel of the song. This song is a feast for the lead guitar player - you will learn all the lead guitar lines, electric piano lines, and full on complete guitar solo – all the soulful and bluesy bends, vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs and more. You will also learn the theory behind the solos, what scales and modes are used in the song so you can also practice and improvise on your own. Plus we have a full song play along practice track or jam track – so you can practice playing along the whole song at record tempo.
The whole song, intro, rhythms, licks, and solo are all broken down and explained and demonstrated at slow speed and regular speed. We break each section into digestible parts and we get you playing and rocking out in the fastest and most efficient manner. If you are familiar with our teaching methods you know that we take songs sections one at a time and break them down into smaller sections, explaining every piece as we go along. Then we show you how to tie everything together. We also have on screen text, multiple camera angles, and close ups of the fret hand to make the learning process even easier.
Keep in mind that this DVD is way more than just a song lesson. Below is the complete DVD menu and synopsis of all the lessons on this DVD – feel free to email us any questions and rock on!
DVD Introduction – In this introduction David discusses the lesson format, the structure for the coming lessons, the DVD menu sections, and how to piece the song together in the fastest and most efficient manner. David also discusses the tuning used for the song and the rhythmic feel needed to cop the feel of the song. David discusses the gear used in the DVD and how he gets the needed tones as far as guitar, pickups, amps, and effects. He also discusses tube amps and getting a good tube tone, EQ adjustments, pickup and amp settings, and gain/distortion levels used throughout this DVD.
Chord Library – In this section David takes you in on a very tight shot on the neck and goes over the chords that you will need to play in the song. You will also see the chord names and fret numbers flash on the screen with our on-screen text. Having this on-screen text really ties everything together and makes learning even easier. David also teaches you chord playing techniques and fingerings with the chords so you get them sounding their absolute best as well as some chord embellishments. He also sprinkles in a little music theory to tie it all together to keep your guitar journey moving forward.
Song Intro - This section of the DVD is broken into two sub-menus:
1. Intro Sections - In this section David takes you through the song up until the first verse. The electric piano riff is transcribed for guitar and you will learn how to dovetail that into the intro lead guitar lines. David shows you how to play both parts with one guitar and later shows you the parts if you have two instruments. You also will learn the intro guitar melodic lines and intro guitar solo. All lead lines are broken down and explained at both slow and regular speeds and with up close shots of the neck.
2. Intro Structure - In this section David teaches how to play the intro parts if you have multiple instruments – like two guitars or guitar and electric piano. He goes over the rhythms and timings and the on screen text ties it all together making learning this piece fast, fun, and easy.
Verses & Rhythms - This section of the DVD is broken into three sub-menus:
1. Verse Rhythms - In this section David takes you through the verses of the song. You not only learn the chords and the progressions but also the strumming and strum patterns. On screen text displays the strum patterns and David goes over the timing and how to cop that Latin feel while strumming. David teaches you the techniques of rhythmic “chucking” and chord “killing” to get a sophisticated rhythm. He starts off slow and easy and teaches different patterns so you can progress and build on what you know. With these teachings you will be playing the rhythms in the fast and most efficient manner.
2. Embellish Chords & Rhythms - In this section David teaches the chord embellishments utilized in the song. There are some very trademark licks added to the chords and David shows you how to get that feel and play the embellishments while holding down and changing the chords in time. These embellishments really add interest, character, and texture to your playing. And he also teaches you a standard way of playing it so you don’t have to add the embellishments if you are not up to that level as yet – again you can build up to it, but David gives you options and you can choose which you like based on your current level.
3. Practice Rhythm Track – Jam Track - In this section you get a great practice exercise of David playing the entire song the whole way through at record tempo. This is a great practice tool as you only hear the guitar lines and electric piano parts. David plays the rhythms in the whole song with on screen text marking all the parts and chords. Here you can tie everything together rhythmically that you have learned to this point. You can use this rhythm track as a jam track to practice the rhythms, strums, chord changing, timing, and also to practice your soloing and improvisation, and to practice the solo and licks for the song. Jam tracks are an invaluable practice tool and you will really like this one!
Guitar Solo - This section of the DVD is broken into two sub-menus:
1. Full Guitar Solo - In this section you will learn the complete guitar solo. David goes over in easily understandable pieces each and every lick. Each lick is broken down and played at slow and regular speeds as well as demonstrated and explained with a tight shot of the neck. David teaches what fingerings work best for fluidity, and how to piece the entire solo together – you will learn it all up close and personal with a tight shot of the neck. He explains all the techniques that make this solo cool – the heavy string bending, vibrato, bend and vibrato, hammer-ons and pull-offs, slides, and more. David also explains what chords are being played rhythmically under the solo and why it is so important to always analyze the chords that you are playing over. This is a phenomenal piece of guitar and you will be playing it just like the CD in no time. This solo is a real feast for the lead guitar player.
2. Solo Theory & Soloing Secrets - In this section David discusses the theory behind the solo and what scales and modes the licks and solos throughout the song are taken from. You will learn the scales and all the extra notes thrown into the solo and on screen text ties it all together. He also teaches other options you can play over the chords if you want to improvise a solo when playing with your band or friends, or while practicing over the jam track – so you can trade off licks and leads and know what will sound great over this song’s chord changes. So he gives you other solo options to try and get creative. You will also learn how to add modal playing to your soloing and how to know what mode to use. You can really take you playing to the next level by trying these different techniques and suggestions and then try blasting them over all you own playing!
Outro & Bonus - This section of the DVD is broken into two sub-menus:
1. Song Outro - In this section David goes over the outro licks to the song. Fast, fun, and easy and you will be mastering this all time classic.
2. Bonus Vibrato Technique Lesson - In this bonus lesson David discusses one of the most important lead guitar techniques, vibrato. He takes you on an up close shot of the neck and explains in detail all the tips and technique secrets to really bring your vibrato alive. Along with string bending, vibrato can be not just one of the most expressive aspects to lead guitar, but also can be your signature. David teaches how to make your vibrato sound even and smooth utilizing good technique and finger positioning. He talks about using other fingers for leverage and strength and how to start taking notes and doing musical things with them – working the notes and going for it. David also goes over some common mistakes made when implementing vibrato.