Made famous by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Hello Good People – David Taub here from Next Level Guitar.
In this two-hour DVD I break down and explain in our easy to digest format the BLUES classic COLD SHOT taught in the style of Stevie Ray Vaughan. This is the full on song lesson and when we say “full song lesson” we mean it. We teach ALL the song parts – intro, riffs, verses, chorus, bridge, rhythms, outro, techniques, full guitar solo, and more. You learn the techniques as well as the song, so then you can blast the techniques across all your playing and practicing. Plus we teach you all the tricks and tips on how to cop the feel of the song. So this is way more than just a song lesson!
This song is a feast for the lead guitar player. Learn the techniques of string raking, muting, kills, string bending, vibrato, and more. This is a killer guitar solo and you will learn it complete. Learn all the soulful and bluesy bends, strong vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, rakes, and more. You will also learn what notes scales are used so you can also practice and improvise on your own and then practice over the full on practice jam track rhythm included in the DVD.
The whole song, rhythms, licks, and solo are all broken down and explained and demonstrated at slow speed and regular speed. We break each section into digestible parts and we get you playing and rocking out in the fastest and most efficient manner. If you are familiar with our teaching methods you know that we take songs sections one at a time and break them down into smaller sections, explaining every piece as we go along. Then we show you how to tie everything together. We also have on screen text, multiple camera angles, and close ups of the fret hand and pick hand to make the learning process even easier.
Keep in mind that this DVD is way more than just a song lesson. We help teach guitar by using popular songs as vehicles to get your playing to the next level. Below is the complete DVD menu and synopsis of all the lessons on this two-hour DVD. Feel free to email us any questions and rock on!
DVD Introduction – in this introduction David discusses the lesson format, the structure for the coming lessons, the DVD menu sections, and how to piece the song together in the fastest and most efficient manner. He also discusses the blues techniques and rhythmic nuances needed to cop the feel of the song. David discusses the importance of using a metronome, song key, chords, and all along he gives other tips and tricks to make your playing easier.
Tuning & Tone Lessons - this section of the DVD is broken into two sub-menus:
1. Tuning Lesson - in this lesson David teaches all about Eb, (E flat), tuning and how to go about tuning to Eb. He discusses the differences between Eb and standard tuning as well as what are the benefits of this tuning. You will also learn why Eb tuning works so well for this song. David also discusses how to use your electronic tuner to tune to Eb as well as he sounds each string one at a time for tuning purposes.
2. Tone Lesson - in this lesson David discusses guitars, effects, pickups, and amp settings. He teaches how to dial in all in for a real bluesy tone. David teaches all about string gauges and how string gauge affects tone and guitar playability. You will also learn how string gauge can affect your guitar set-up. He goes over the gear he uses throughout this DVD. He also discusses guitar models, pickup settings, and pickup combinations for bluesy tones. David discusses amp settings and amp models, tube amps, EQ settings, reverb, distortion, effects, and more – all for getting that great warm bluesy tone.
Main Riff/Intro Section - in this section David teaches the main riff of the song and how to vary it for the intro, verses, and choruses. David plays all song examples at slow and regular speed while on-screen text marks the parts to make it easy to assemble all song sections. To get the vibe of the song David teaches the techniques of string raking, string muting, bending, and vibrato. Close ups of the fret hand make it easy to see all the action up close and personal as David goes over all the riffs. David breaks the riff down into sections and gives you practice tips for practicing each part separately and then puts them all together. He also gives playing tips on which fingers to use for playing fluidity and how to cop the feel of the licks. You also get close ups of the pick hand that makes learning the muting and picking parts easy and fun. David also shows how to use up-strokes to get the rhythm in time and really breaks things down so you can learn all the parts and then put them all together – easy and fast!
Verses & Chorus Sections - this section of the DVD is broken into two sub-menus:
1. Verses Section - in this section David teaches the verse sections of the song. He goes over all the nuances and how many times you are playing each part. Dynamics are a huge part of this song and David teaches how to get the proper dynamics and nuances to really get the proper song vibe. All techniques and examples are played at slow and regular speeds with on-screen text to keep all the parts straight.
2. Chorus Section - in this section David goes over the chorus sections of the song. He teaches how to move the main riff around to outline the chordal structure of the song. All licks are broken down and explained at slow and regular speeds. David also teaches the techniques needed to cop the feel and dynamics of the licks. You also learn the picking and strum used to capture the vibe in the chorus. On screen text keeps all the licks and parts organized for learning in the fastest and most efficient manner.
Bridge & Outro Sections - in this section David teaches the bridge and outro for the song. He teaches how to hop in and out and connect each section in time. All licks and rhythms are explained and demonstrated at slow an regular speeds as well as proper fingering is taught for fluidity and to set up for the next licks. On-screen text assembles all the parts together for quick learning as the parts are demonstrated. Learn the rhythm and strumming necessary for the song outro and you will be rocking out this classic in no time!
Guitar Solo, Practice Track, & Bonus Lesson - this section of the DVD is broken into three sub-menus:
1. Guitar Solo - in this section David goes over the entire guitar solo. Learn what scale the solo is taken from and how to go about piecing this long solo together and hop in and out rhythmically. Here you will learn the complete solo lick by lick. David goes over in easily understandable pieces each and every lick. Each lick is broken down and played at slow and regular speeds as well as demonstrated and explained with a tight shot of the neck. So you see all the action up close and personal. David teaches what fingerings work best for fluidity, and how to piece the entire solo together – you will learn it all up close and personal with a tight shot of the neck. He explains all the techniques that make this solo cool – the heavy string bending, heavy vibrato, string raking, hammer-ons and pull-offs, slides, and more. This is a phenomenal piece of guitar work and you will be playing it just like the CD in no time. This solo is a real feast for the lead guitar player.
2. Whole Song Practice Jam Track - in this section you get a great practice exercise of David playing the entire song the whole way through. This is a great practice tool as you only hear the guitar and David plays the rhythms in the whole song at record tempo with on screen text marking all the parts from start to finish. Here you can tie everything together rhythmically that you have learned to this point. You can use this rhythm track as a jam track to practice the rhythms, to practice your soloing and improvisation, and to practice the solo and licks for the song – what an invaluable practice tool!
3. Bonus Lesson - in this bonus lesson David will teach you how to spice up your lead guitar playing by using passing tones. He goes over the technique using the Minor Pentatonic & Blues scale as an example with lots of blues licks used as playing examples. Learn how to get out of your soloing rut and easily get your playing to the next level. If you find that your lead playing is stuck in the “box”, then this lesson is a must have and it get you out of your soloing rut and out of the box fast, fun, and easy.